Sunday, January 11, 2009

As planned,  we poured the concrete into the last remaining walls -- the East and West gables-- last week.  This was a pretty mellow pour, as they go.  There was the issue of getting up high,  but otherwise it was a small amount  and relatively easy configuration.  Thus I was able to take a photo when things were wrapping up.  In this shot Sebastian is doing my job -- holding the hose.  It's actually remarkably heavy and bruising... though not when it's only for an hour with little need to move around much.  

 

It's hard to convey the feel and texture of the whole pour thing.  It's stressful and messy.  I have loved what working with these blocks has made possible for me,  but I am very happy to be moving on,  and for the moment, up.  Happy enough to show my lighter side..... well maybe not literally.. while Jennifer was snapping some pictures during Saturday inspection: 

There were some good workdays last week,  in that it stayed warm.  The mist fell,  but the wet is not such a problem when your fingers aren't also getting very cold.   So,  we got a start on the roof rafters on the North side:

Let's be frank. Now I'm in entirely over my head =; -)  

This next phase involves doing all new things that I have much less guidance on than the whole block business....  Just the books...   So,  I started on this side because I thought it the least obvious place to make my mistakes....  

Do you see any yet?

Have I mentioned that it's endlessly beautiful here?

I think I have.  Cousin Irene wrote and asked me to document the nature more.   So much of it is about light and views that I'm just no good at capturing.  Some of the photographers in the family need to come and work on that!  

So I'll use poor photos and my words:  One thing is that there is this light green moss that covers almost all the decidous trees.  Thus the oaks look like this, when they are without leaves:  

Yesterday afternoon the sky turned streaky pink at sunset -- with the moon rising just over the mountain.  I tried to take some photos of that too,  with very limited success: 

No comments: