Sunday, April 12, 2009

Busy week impersonating a GC

Indeed this was a busy week. 

On Monday the weather was finally glorious so it was time to remove the billowy tarp and glue down the EPDM (kinda like rubber) sheet that waterproofs the almost flat roof that forms the balcony/deck on the west side of the house.  

   

In the picture below you can see the sheet folded over as the glue was drying: 

Tuesday was a day of many subcontractors.  Pulled from here to there by the questions and needs of those performing three separate operations,  I was reminded of my days as a manager. I got nearly nothing done with my own two hands,  but the electrical trench was dug,  conduit run, inspection passed and then the trench refilled so that our driveway was once again passable. At the same time we got a hole for the underground gas tank,  and the gravel for the concrete slabs at the main and back entry was placed.  In the middle of it all I had a consultation with a possible lime plasterer.   It was so hectic that I didn't take any pictures!  

Next day was a little calmer,  so I got a coupla pics of the gas tank being dropped into its spot.  

Still later it was time for delivery of the metal roofing and siding material:   another boom truck operation. 

Meanwhile my job was to get the redwood decking down onto the balcony so that the rubber sheet is protected as we get started moving all the metal up and up. 

The deck was a delightful job for me.  Wood -- beautiful wood -- and materials and concepts that I know how to work with!  I worked alone, and late,  enjoying myself.   

The weather kept us inside one day,  but on friday it was finally time to start working with the  corrugated siding.

As always,  the beginning was slow because there's so much to figure out about a new material. 

So the week ended with just a tantalizing bit of the nice green metal up.But  as little as it is,  I ended the work week feeling euphoric.  For one thing,  the material is exactly as I hoped it would be,  in  terms of the color and the way it looks.  (Hard to capture right now,  but the corrugations are deeper than the standard that you see around a lot,  so it's a stronger line that you see...  )  And beyond that,  it's the very tiny start of the thing looking as I have for so long been picturing it in mind's eye.    And that really is a lotta fun.   

No comments: