Monday, March 16, 2009

I think they called this "dried in."

The house is roofed.  (However, the roof is not sheathed.  This awaits my ability to finish the two porch roofs... soon, I hope.) 

I am unbelievably relieved.  There's plenty more to do,  but these roofs involved a lot of highly visible work that I had no experience doing.  Translation:  clueless.

The last was the most unforgiving of all in that the interior all stays exposed.  High anxiety,  but I am quite pleased with the result.  Here's a shot of the interior look.  

And the exterior of this side is also highly visible since this is the patio side.  So here's the cedar planking on the outside (becasue the interior material wouldn't hold up to the weather). 

And when you're inside, looking out, itshould give  a nice feel to see the beams continue on out to create the deep overhang on this -- the south side-- of the house: 

As has been the case each time we've constructed one of these roof sandwiches,  the beams and the first layer of sheathing go up pretty effiently,  and then there's a few days of work just in finishing all the details around the permimeter of the roof,   before the insulation and the final layer can go in/on.  This week I had the good fortune of some extra help on those details. Our local friend (It's true,  we actually know a few people here now)  Kirk came and put in a coupla days helping,  and it really did help keep things moving.  

In the pic below you can see some of those fussy details around the perimeter.  As well, this photo shows another factor brought on by the exposed beam look:  the conduit for the  wiring all needed to be put above and channelled into the insulation above the roof,  since the usual cavity to hide such things is exposed, in this case. In this pic the conduit is exposed,  insulation not yet on top of it.

 So,   that's last week.  It's been raining, so we'll move indoors now.   Future work may be harder to photograph! YAY to that. 

1 comment:

Richard Sachs said...

In the beginning (I'm stealing a line..), I didn't actually realize you were going to do a stage by stage commentary. So now I've gone back and looked. It's a lot like Willie Mays: Amazin'. I didn't quite get the bit about a "delivery of windows". Does that mean you didn't extrude the glass in a furnace? Oh my. You are totally beyond belief. One day, we want to see it. It is quite beyond belief (mine, anyway). But as a non-Believer, I now believe. In you; and that has always been easy.