Sunday, March 29, 2009

This was a very jam packed week.   

It started with a big delivery of all the windows and a few of the doors for the project.   As with each new phase,  I was pretty anxious about the whole thing.  Everything from how to handle the actual unloading and storing about 30 fragile units,  to how to install them! 

I wish I had taken a picture of the whole mess of 'em,  but it didn't occur to me until this weekend,  and the pile is greatly diminished by now. 

The reason the pile is so much smaller is that there are quite a few windows installed by week's end:  

Getting the space closed in really makes a tremendous difference to the feel of the whole thing.  As you can probably see on the exterior shots,  it all starts to look a lot more finished.  

Unfortunately its very hard to give an impression of the inside of the space as its so chaotic with all the tools and storage and mess going on in there.  Here's a shot that captures the chaos,  if not the new feeling of having an interior space: 

And here's an upstairs shot where you can at least see the windows; and another in the dining room to be: 

I've gotten a real boost from this past week's changes.   Finally something that  makes it feel like I am progressing toward a house....   Also  my confidence got a boost from how relatively well this work has gone,  given that it's  important, fussy, and completely new to me.   

Another development this week is that we decided to purchase some redwood for the balcony decking.  Yep,  it's old growth,  clear,  50 year old redwood.  No,  we didn't partake of felling a 50 year old (more likely 150 year old) redwood.   The source of our deck wood:  A 50 year old water tank at a mill that got taken down.  

Once cleaned up,  they are just incomprable for outdoor use, so we decided to blow out budget to get some.  Bringing the wood home (about 48 miles) nearly involved blowing our tires and shocks as well:    

Over and out for now.  

2 comments:

seecyn said...

Wow!! Congratulations on the progress!

Mithran-Dad said...

I am quite impressed with what you are doing!
It really looks great.
I live in the Eugene area and would love to do a project very similar to yours, faswall, owner built, etc.

If you are willing I would love to get some quick input from you. Please drop me an email!

Pieter.